Are you new to WordPress and unsure what the distinctions are between WordPress.com and WordPress.org? It can be pretty confusing so let’s go over the two!
WordPress.com hosts your website and functions as a website builder. WordPress.com manages its own branding and advertising. If you wish to get rid of them, you’ll have to pay for one of its paid plans. Their plans run from $4/month -$45/month
They do have a free version, but it comes with many limitations.
WordPress.com is for you if…
01. You don’t want to worry about your site’s updates or security.
02. Free hosting and domain registration is included.
03. You are looking for something User-Friendly.
04. You are provided dozens of WordPress themes.
The WordPress software itself is 100% free and open source. Even though the software is free you still need to host it somewhere.
Once you choose your hosting plan and domain name, you can install WordPress.org through your web hosting provider. Usually through a simple one-click install. It’s pretty simple!
I definitely recommend WordPress.org!
01. There are no limits on monetization. Run the ads you want and have complete control over your website.
02. Install as many plugins as you want.
03. There are no limits to the number of items you can sell.
04. There are numerous payment gateways available.
05. Suitable for many different website needs. You can design anything!
It is ultimately up to you to decide what works best for you. If you are a total beginner with no prior knowledge of WordPress, you can try the free version of WordPress.com and begin writing (if you want to start a blog). Later on, you can upgrade or migrate your website to WordPress.org.